Why go with short bars?
Looking for a new bar feeder and don’t know where to turn?
In turning, fast and reliable operations are important to achieve maximum productivity.
Find out how choosing a short bar feeder will help you reduce vibration, while increasing productivity.
Did you know ?
Most “straight” bars…
… are not perfect:
The longer the bar stock is, the bigger the straightness error is.
The generally accepted tolerance of a straight bar stock is an error of 0,5 mm per meter.
In the most cases, the bar stocks are out of tolerance because of
and/or transport without care.
An un-straight bar stock will create vibrations !
- Tolerance and surface finish problems
- tool life problems
- accelerated wear of the lathe or spindle
You wouldn't want that to happen to you, would you?
Eliminating vibrations can be achieved in a number of ways:
- Reduce the rotational speed → decreases the productivity
- Get more straight bars → more expensive, sometimes impossible (exotic materials)
- Improve the lathe’s chuck rigidity → more expensive, sometimes impossible (machine design)
- Improve the bar guiding → more expensive, sometimes impossible (floor space)
- Reduce the bar length → a short loader like the LNS QUICK LOAD SERVO 105 !
Cutting the bar also divides the straightness discrepancy by 1/3 or 1/2 or… depending on the bar stock length and the spindle length.
This is the big advantage of a short bar feeding system.
Stocks of the spindle length are used so the cutting speed is not limited if an appropriate spindle liner is used, leading to increased productivity.
Another advantage of short bars is that they reduce the foot print and thus save valuable space.
Here is what will convince you:
Types of Turning jobs :
- Small batches
- Big diameters
- Long, high-power machining
- Expensive material
Short bar feeder benefits :
- No guiding éléments
- Capacity 65 to 120 mm
- No vibrations
- Buy less material